Full Time Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Hungary, Budapest Mission

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Week 7 in Debrecen-Apartment Tour

Hey Everyone!!

Things are coming along good here in Hungary.
One thing that's been a bit difficult is moving from the structure of the MTC to the real crazy, and not entirely too organized field. I really miss the classroom environment in retrospect. When I first got here Elder Miller was my trainer. He was the last one from his group still in the field and was just with me for 5 weeks.

We did have a lot of good work within those 5 weeks. We tracted into Eszter. She is a really kind older lady who let us into her home. Two weeks later she was in the baptismal font in the Debrecen branch house. It was super fast, we honestly were trying to slow her down. we kept asking her if she was sure this was what she wanted and she insisted it was. So we taught her all 10 commandments in a single sitting. She was so prepared to accept them in her life I really don't feel like we did anything. It was super great and she has been at church every Sunday since.

I am now with a new companion here in Debrecen. His name is Elder Whiting.
He is the kind of missionary that is so good and holds himself to such a high standard that you always feel like you need to kick it into gear. I am super glad to be his companion. I think sometimes that he gets a bit frustrated with me. He is just under his year mark though, so he is super young to be training, and even when I can tell he is a bit frustrated he is always very patient with me. Just an awesome guy! We have one investigator set for baptism. His name is Jozi (that's pronounced yo-zsh-i). He is a really great guy!
I am so excited for Damen! Let him know I said that being baptized is one of the most important things he can do. He is going to be an awesome big brother as he sets the example for his younger siblings. Baptism is only the first step as we follow our Heavenly Father's plan for us and as we keep following that path, he will be able to see all the blessings that He has given us. Tell him that I love him and am super proud of him.

The language is super difficult right now but that's to be expected. I am starting to pick up on things that I didn't before. The hardest part is paying attention. It takes a lot of concentration for me to decipher a single sentence or question and try to formulate a response, then only to realize when I refocus on what people are saying the conversation has moved onto a completely different point. Sometimes I feel like it doesn't make much of a difference and just zone out.

I forwarded some pics and video to ya so enjoy. I love getting pictures so whenever you feel like it, send me some too!
http://youtu.be/QXaWXKHXcaw

Mom, I love you so much and I miss you a lot. The food here is good at times but it never can quite compare to home cooked meals. But more then just the food I miss giving you hugs. Everytime I see a picture of home it makes me think of everything that makes me happy. I'll always be your little boy.


I love you so much don't cry and have a great day tomorrow.

Your son,

Elder Oakes

No comments:

Post a Comment