Full Time Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Hungary, Budapest Mission

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Week 3 in Debrecen

Hey mom,

I love you so much, I am sorry I didn't email yesterday. I haven't had a normal p day since I've been here. If my companion can't get a full 2 hours of email time, he waits til he can. Things are going good here. We are making a lot of progress in the work in Debrecen. I really like the people here. The weather is warming up a lot. I am buying some new pants that aren't black.

There is a lady here that makes custom suits. My companion decided he wanted one so we went yesterday with Michael. I just ordered the pants from here but they will be machine washable, custom fitted, in a material I chose that's good for hot weather. So I'm excited about that!

I had liver this last week. Everyone has been warning me about it and telling me to just avoid it, but I thought it tasted really good. It's a lot like meat just with a different texture. It's very normal here in Hungary so I am glad I like it. That's the only real Hungarian dish I've tried here so far.

The two in the picture are Dori and Vili, they are brother and sister and way cool! They had us over for dinner and fed us a ton. I practically rolled out of there! The branch is really small and has a lot of inactive members. We have had three dinner appointments since I've been here. We don't cook lots. I only get like 30 min to eat, if that. So, I just make little stuff for myself. I eat a lot of dairy and eggs. And no, I haven't been to McDonald's yet.

The other picture is of me with Elder Hurfeil. He is German.

We get up everyday at 6:30 am, we visit anyone that wants to talk to us, so we end up doing a lot of tracting and run into random people. We have tabled once since we've been here (set up a table in front of the church and hand out pamphlets). There wasn't very many people though. On Saturday nights they do sports night on the church lawn (usually soccer, it's probably the most popular sport in Hungary). The members here are really nice and I like them a lot. The branch president is way cool. He is the only active member in his family. I get along well with everyone.

The language is coming along good! I can understand more than I thought and things are easier to say, but I still have a long way to go! When I'm typing the letters are all there, but they are in different positions. It just takes longer.

When we need to get around we walk or take the tram. If we have to get someplace that's really far, then the Steel's give us a ride. If it's outside our zone we go by train.

We have our own washer and there is a drying rack, so we do our own laundry here. You asked for pictures of our apartment. It is a disaster. I have done a ton to clean up but it's still a mess. But, yes, I'll send you some pictures.

I'm sorry to hear dad is sick, especially right before trek. Tell him I said good luck!

I love you. I am not sure if you are going to wake up or not so don't feel bad if you don't.
>
Love your boy :)

Elder Oakes, Hungary Budapest Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment