Full Time Missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Hungary, Budapest Mission

Monday, March 9, 2015

Week 42 - 6th Week in Sopron!

Hey there!

How are things with you all? Life is going pretty good here. This last week hasn't been too eventful, but one super interesting thing we did was on Monday we went with Elder Jensen to the Austrian Border. They have a cool little park there on the Hungarian side and we were able to adventure around and look at a lot of the history they have there. I didn't take any pictures but Elder Mortensen did. I'll try to get a hold of his camera. There was a big deal about it when they brought down the iron curtain. It was pretty cool!

The rest of the week we spent planning for just about everything it seems like... my talk, a recent convert's talk (which we helped her write), the upcoming open house, discussing the missionary work in correlation meeting, planning to teach priesthood, etc, etc, etc... We stayed good and busy. Tuesday we met with Ersike Néni to help her write her talk. That was interesting... she is a sweet old lady but because she has some different views on religion and life, we decided to come back with a member later in the week to get that sorted out. We also visited with the Branch President to finalize the fliers that I made for the open house. We are planning an open house as an easy way for members to bring a friend. But anyone can come. It's going to be on March 27th. We are handing out fliers but we want the members to pass them out also. We don't table as much it's not as effective here.
This is the pass along card for the open house that Elder Oakes made!
Wednesday was good, we got lots of finding time in and a few good programs before branch council. Thursday we had district meeting. That went well I feel like. Giving trainings is kinda fun and this week we focused on doing more effective finding. It went well and I think we all learned a lot. We taught English class as well which went really good. I really enjoy doing that.

Friday was pretty bland, lots of tracting and finding time, but we had a good few programs. It seems to me though like the number of people we meet with in a week is steadily dropping. Its sad but a lot of the previous investigators didn't really seem to meet with the elders for the gospel but just to party. They don't like our idea of a party I guess.

Saturday was almost a mirror image of Friday with the added sport nap and revisiting Ersike Néni, with a member (who was a big help)to help her finish her talk. We also were able to meet with one of the older investigators here and had a good chat.

Sunday morning I finished writing my talk. Then gave it within the hour, I hate public speaking, not my thing. But for the most part it went well. I spoke about Gifts of the Spirit. I was also the last speaker and had to take almost 25 minutes, it ended up being like 18 or something, but the branch president didn't seem to mind, we just ended a bit early. Ersike Néni's talk went well too. It was a good Sunday.

Our number of programs was down this week. We only had 7 this whole week. But we have been doing a lot of recent convert/less active work. We had 9 programs with less active members and 4 with recent converts. One less active, Sandor, even came back to church this week.

We go in for zone conference this week. I'll check for the box then. I am really excited for that book you ordered, Dad! Mortensen and I are doing good. He is a great companion! They ended mini transfers once all the missionaries on that schedule went home. The MTC switched the intervals from every 6 weeks to every 9 weeks. Because of that, the timing for missionaries all changed. So now there are no more missionaries on the old time so no more need for mini transfers. The transfers are just every 9 weeks, so another 3 weeks for sure here in Sopron.

Anyway, things back at home sound good! Lizzy got asked to Prom! Naomi is dancing all over the place (and sick), Becca nannies all the time, and Manda is pregnant and celebrating her 2 year anniversary...WOW! Josh Holyoak leaves Wednesday for his mission to Oregon! Wow! Sounds like you guys are all enjoying life. Wish I could be there, take a few extra pictures for me!

Speaking of pictures I got my hands on Elder Mortensen's camera and I'll be sending you all of his pictures as well. He has a good amount! Can't wait to hear from you guys!

I got to go now. Mom, I love you so much!

Elder Oakes, Hungary Budapest Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment